- In vitro and in vivo studies support traditional use of Liquorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) for allergies. Glycyrrhizin, is attributed with relieving IgE-induced allergies (i.e. asthma) ( Planta Med. 2007 Mar;73(3):257-61
- Glycyrretinic Acid (GA) from Glycyrrhiza glabra may have anti-malarial action. PLoS One. 2013 Sep 24;8(9):e74761
- Demonstrated anti-convulsant, anti-oxidant action that also protected against neuron damage. Indian J Pharmacol. 2013 Jan-Feb;45(1):40-3.
- Potential as a modulator of genotoxins and free radical scavenger. Pharmacognosy Res. 2012 Oct;4(4):189-95.
- More on Glycyrrhiza glabra’s anti-oxidant abilities, anti-inflammatory abilities, and reducing nitric oxide synthase expression. Molecules. 2011 Jul 6;16(7):5720-34.
- Effective in “treatment of oral mucositis post radiation and chemotherapy in patients of cancer, especially of the head and neck region.” Ayu. 2011 Apr;32(2):196-9.
- Inhibited cancer cell proliferation. Biol Pharm Bull. 2008 Nov;31(11):1996-2000.
- Reduced LDL and increased HDL. Indian J Clin Biochem. 2009 Oct;24(4):404-9.
- Study in rats that demonstrates improvements in lipid levels and obesity. Lipids Health Dis. 2009 Jul 29;8:31.
- Promising results in a small study on acute conjunctivitis when compared with treatment with Chloramphenicol. Anc Sci Life. 1986 Jan;5(3):151-3.
- Improved insulin sensitivity, as well as decreasing tissue lipid deposition and raising HDL. Lipids Health Dis. 2010 Jul 29;9:81.
- May be useful as treatment for diarrhea caused by rotavirus infection. Virol J. 2012 Jul 26;9:137. doi: 10.1186/1743-422X-9-137.
- A product containing Glycyrrhiza glabra was effective for treatment of functional dyspepsia. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:216970
- A Glycyrrhiza glabra root product was effective in treating infection with H. pylori. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:263805
Learning and Memory
- Water extract of Glycyrrhiza glabra were used in rats and demonstrated improved “learning and memory”. J Nat Sci Biol Med. 2013 Jul;4(2):420-5.
- May protect against liver and kidney damage fro acetaminophen in a dose dependant manner. Though a single dose of Glycyrrhiza glabra was not enough to protect against a lethal dose of acetaminophen. Anc Sci Life. 2011 Jan;30(3):72-7.
- This study explores the mechanism through which Glycyrrhiza glabra protects the liver from harm in mice. Biol Pharm Bull. 2007 Oct;30(10):1898-904.
- Glycyrrhizin, a phytochemical from Glycyrrhiza glabra protected neurons from death in a dose dependent manner in mice. Exp Neurobiol. 2013 Jun;22(2):107-15
- A preparation containing Glycyrrhiza glabra demonstrated neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory benefits in the postischemic brain. Anat Cell Biol. 2011 Dec;44(4):304-13.
- Study using rats showed anti-obesity activity for Licorice flavonoid oil. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008 Dec;72(12):3225-31.
- Flavonoids from Licorice prevented abdominal obesity and improved blood sugar levels in mice. Biol Pharm Bull. 2004 Nov;27(11):1775-8.
- Inhibits periodontitis. J Periodontal Res. 2010 Dec;45(6):757-63.
- Significant improvement to bone mineral content in rats happened with formonoetin, which is a phytochemical found in Glycyrrhiza glabra (and other plants in the Fabaceae family). Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:457052